Sunday, September 20, 2009

Strikes Suck

**Warning this post is about Breastfeeding so don't feel like you have to read but writing is my little stress relief!

Okay I know the title isn't very lady like but that is how I am feeling today. From what I have researched and after her behavior over the last couple of days Caroline is on a nursing strike. Like a flip of the switch it is a struggle to nurse her. Between Julia and Caroline it is amazing how breastfeeding can put me into tears. I know not everyone will understand that but for something that people talk about being natural it is not easy. There are so many different things that can go wrong. Let me start by saying that I truly love nursing Caroline and that is why I stress over it every time something goes wrong. I just wish things would go a little more smoothly. Most things I read or other nursing moms I talk to points to keeping their milk supplies up. For me it is the complete opposite I have an over supply. So it is nice not to worry about producing enough milk but on the other hand it causes a lot of issues. I have already dealt with two plugged ducts and mastitis in the first three months and I am now blaming this nursing strike on my over supply. For some reason the other day the boobs were on over load and Miss C did not like this and I don't blame her who would want to choke:) I know some of you are thinking why don't you just pump? Two reasons the pump and I don't get along and pumping makes your body keep making more milk which doesn't help the over supply. (Just wait until I go back to work next week. More tears when I can't pump) So because I was so uncomfortable I was probably forcing her to eat and she didn't like that so now here we are. To get her to eat I literally have to walk up and down the stairs. We look like a freak show! At night when she is half asleep we don't struggle and she latches right on but during the middle of the day what use to be such an easy and lovely time between the two of us is now something that I dread. Today has been a little better as long as their is motion she doesn't cry so I guess that is a step in the right direction. Oh well, I know it is best for her and I am not ready to start supplementing with formula. That is just a personal choice at this point, however if this lasts more than a week I may feel differently. As I told my OB the other day, between the recession and the swine flu I am determined to keep nursing her full time. Probably a bad joke, but it is true! So thanks for listening to my rant and if you have been through something like this feel free to leave me some suggestions!

8 comments:

Amy Conover said...

Hang in there, every little one is different! I loved and hated every minute of it and sometimes wish I hadn't give up so soon on Rylee, but hey..to each his own. Maybe you should get a sit and spin, Graham can push you every minute or so and Caroline can eat :)

Hee, hee...love you

Amy Conover said...

I created a blog and named it something that my own name, really it is Amy, not Colten...dear god@!!!

Katie said...

So sorry that it just can't be easy. Maybe if you had a string of beads that she could look at and play with? Can you nurse in a sling? I just picture you nursing up and down the stairs, your poor shoulder muscles! You'd need a massage after each session. Try to relax, I know it's easier said than done.

Katie said...

So sorry that it just can't be easy. Maybe if you had a string of beads that she could look at and play with? Can you nurse in a sling? I just picture you nursing up and down the stairs, your poor shoulder muscles! You'd need a massage after each session. Try to relax, I know it's easier said than done.

Kat said...

Oh let me clarify... I am not walking up and down the stairs the entire time. Once she decides to latch on then I can sit and relax. However, if I was going up and down the entire time it would be a great workout:)

niccitse said...

Hey Kat, I can relate to your supply issues. I had mastitis and plugged ducts the entire time and the pump could not get it out. Warm washcloths and showers helped me get the milk out or just into a burp cloth like you said (I even did that at work). Also peppermint is supposed to decrease supply so I used to suck on peppermint candy at work.
I know it is so hard and I am so proud of you for sticking with it even while getting ready to go back to work.
I stressed about all of it just like you are and the support of others was HUGE!
You are doing such a great job managing Jules and getting ready to go back to work on top of this.
You don't look like a freak show. You look like an incredible mother! Call me if you need a chat again. I promise my kids aren't always that loud!

O Boys Mommy said...

I enjoy reading your blog.....I hope this can help! Here are two options, and sorry, they both involve pumping. No baby likes to latch onto a rock, so pump just a little before trying to feed (after let-down, about 1-2 minutes) Just enough to soften the area, so when C latches on it is more pleasurable for both. Second option is to pump both sides till you get 3-5 oz from each side. Feed C from a bottle to give you a break after pumping. This shouldn't increase supply too much since you are only pumping slightly more than she will eat. Pumping increases supply when you pump and she is eating (not from a bottle) too. Of course all this pumping becomes difficult with a toddler in tow, but it can be done! Find your best distraction tool and don't feel guilty for using it! Good Luck!

O Boys Mommy said...

My husband said I should tell how I "know" you. Anyways, I'm linked to Isabelle>Charlotte&AJ>you.
I hope things are going better!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails