Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Family's Best Friend

What a week it has been!! Lets start out with my vet is an idiot. Seems harsh but they have put us through hell in the last week. Last Tuesday Lucy refused to put any weight on her back leg. So I took Lucy to the vet after school while Graham stayed home with sick Julia. I assumed she twisted her ankle but the vet came back and told me she has ruptured her acl in her knee. Please picture me with a blank look as the vet pretty much tells me surgery is the only option. Then she hits me with the statement that because she is a large breed dog that she has an 80% chance that she will tear the other one. All I can see are dollar signs flashing before my eyes. Oh and by the way she has double ear infections! Needless to say I was a mess that night. I came home with tears in my eyes and a referral to an orthopedic surgeon for a dog. The appointment for the surgeon wasn't until this morning so we had a week to digest this information. Lucy was restricted to leash walking only, no play time with her best friend Maggie, and back to being in the crate while we are gone. In two days she had stopped limping and I attributed it to our strict rules. Graham and I tried to talk about what we were going to do. We talked to friends whose dog had gone through the surgery. Not only was the cost a huge issue but recovery is not easy and lets not forget Lucy is a little high strung. So this morning off to the orthopedic surgeon for more answers. Dr. Devitt is now my best friend because he gave me the best news possible... her knee is absolutely fine. We needed some good news in this family! Like I said my vet is an idiot. He said that if anything she has a little arthritis in one of her hips probably causing her to pull a muscle. She still needs to be on a leash for another couple of weeks to let it completely heal but for now no knee surgery!

3 comments:

Katie said...

oh my gosh, what GREAT news!!!! and what an idiot!!! sorry i couldn't get to my phone BOTH times you called. lately, it seems like it is 11 pm before i have quiet time for a call.

Tse Family said...

So sorry you have been through such a hard time, but I'm so glad she is fine! How is Julia? Miss you guys! Wish I could give you all great big hugs and kisses!
PS Thanks for your support and love as always. Being a parent is so hard some days!

Unknown said...

Yeah for Lucy!! I am so glad it's not the ACL. I was telling my partents on Sunday about her, so I'll have to be sure to tell them that all is good, besided some arthritis!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails