Monday, September 23, 2013

Bed Rest

Never in a million years did I think that I would be put on bed rest.  When I think of bed rest it is for moms of multiples or people who are in their third trimesters, not for people who are barely showing.  My first two pregnancies were textbook with no problems.  I was always active just like I had been with this pregnancy.  This all happened out of the blue and with no warning so preparing for bed rest was something that wasn't even on our radar.  I am still unclear what my bed rest will look like for the full pregnancy or what it will be like in a month.  We talked with a few people in the hospital and I feel like everyone's answers were a little different. 

The first doctor we saw was not my regular OB.  My OB was at their smaller office and they wanted me to come to their main office so I could have an ultrasound.  The doctor we saw that morning was the first to break the bed rest news.  She made it seem like it would only be a few weeks.  The next morning my doctor is the one who broke the news of bed rest for the duration of my pregnancy.  I truly thought she just didn't have enough information but after talking to her later in the day she explained that the only thing for a hemorrhage of this size is bed rest.  She then explained that none of the doctors in her practice have seen a hemorrhage of this size.  Therefore, bed rest was critical for the baby and for me to have any chance of this healing. 

Bed rest from what I am finding out can be very different from person to person.  The doctors orders were strict bedrest with only bathroom privileges and a shower once a day.  Now that I am on day 6 of bed rest I have a list of questions to ask on Wednesday.  It is a very strange feeling to feel absolutely fine physically but have to be relegated to doing absolutely nothing.  At this point all I can do is follow her orders and I will if it means the baby is safe.  However, you start to wonder when they say only bathroom privileges does that mean you really can't get up to get the remote control on the other side of the room, what about shaving your legs in the shower, making yourself lunch, or getting up to answer the door.  So I am taking it seriously and really being waited on hand and foot by my lovely family. I just hope I don't scare my doctor with my five million questions I have for her at my next appointment. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails