Sunday, January 31, 2010

No Sleeping Beauty!

Caroline turned seven months last week! She is so cute during the day but it is a different story at night. Lets start by all the fun things she is doing. She has gotten the hang of food and you cannot pile it in her mouth fast enough! If she sees you get the cubes out of the freezer she starts howling until you start shoveling it in. She has started sitting in the grocery carts and high chairs at restaurants and I swear she has been waving. She loves when her sister plays with her and constantly laughs when Julia is around. She still has no teeth but her hair is getting longer and crazier by the day. She is a snuggler which is the complete opposite of her sister at this age. Also complete opposite are her sleeping habits. Julia was a genius at sleeping which made very happy parents. If you know me you know that I do not do well without sleep. Now just like Cesar the dog whisperer I am here to admit her sleeping issues are completely her parents fault. There was a time where she was sleeping 8 to 9 hour stretches. Those were the days:) She was sleeping in our loft and I wouldn't run to every sound she made. Then came the day when I thought it necessary to put her in the crib. Of course at our condo the girls shared a room. So anytime she made a peep I beelined to get her. Mainly because Julia had such a hard time at first and would start crying because Caroline would wake her up. So that is where it started. Her one positive sleeping habit is that she goes to sleep fairly easily for naps and at night time on her own. Isn't that what the experts say helps them learn to put themselves to sleep? Don't ask me why Caroline has yet to figure it out. Now we are at the point where we have good nights and then we have some really bad nights. Not to mention that I still have to swaddle her. I might have to swaddle her until she goes to college. Currently I hope she is either teething or going through a growth spurt as I had to feed her twice last night. Graham and I tried to be strong thinking that if we would go in every ten minutes and insert her pacifier that she would eventually fall back asleep. After an hour, yes an hour, I caved and fed her. Lets also not mention that Miss C has also been caught in bed with Graham and I two out of the last three early mornings. By three of four in the morning I give up especially if I have to be at work the next day. I do have to function. It cracks me up because Julia never spent one night in our bed. It amazes me how different these two are! So at seven months, she is definitely no where near sleeping through the night! Tell me that someday she will give me those 8 to 9 hour stretches again. She is a stubborn little thing and it always cracks me up after a bad night how many smiles and giggles she will give you first thing in the morning!

2 comments:

niccitse said...

It must be hard to have a good sleeper and then one that is less than a good sleeper. We had two less than good and then we thought our good sleeper was weird. Interesting about the snuggling part though. My first two were such big snugglers and Sarah really isn't. I wonder if that helps them sleep better on their own if they have less of a snuggle need. However, I find it a little sad that Sarah doesn't want to snuggle as much and when she is in the mood for a hug or kiss, I'm so excited!
I don't know if it is any consolation, but I never, ever thought my first two would sleep through the night, wean or get out of our bed. Really, it was HARD and there was so much advice (some unsolicited) and so much judgement and opinion! AUGH!!! But now I have a 7 year old who wants to go to sleepovers so often he's making me crazy. He hardly ever lets me snuggle him anymore and never comes to our bed at night. The 5 year old still occasionally joins us in the early morning, but considering the lack of sleep we had for years, this is a piece of cake!
I feel for you because I've been there. We went with bringing them to our bed after a while because that was the only way everyone got sleep and that was what we all needed to function. When people made comments or gave advice, I learned to ignore it because they were not in my house at 3 or 4 AM!!! We all have to do what works for us at the time and even though you guys feel like you created this, you are right to note that the two are very different. I'm still realizing how different each of mine are on a daily basis. I know you will because you have no choice, but hang in there! She will sleep again and you will feel normal again. We've survived two less than sleeping beauties and we have time to ourselves and decent sleep (and they are not in college as some people suggested!)Love you!

Kirsten said...

We swaddled Kaylynn until about 7 1/2 months. It was the only thing that kept me sane. Then she started to wake up about 4/5am every single morning! There was definitely NO snooze button on that baby! I feel your pain. Nothing is worse than being teased with a good nights sleep and then going back to waking up in the middle of the night again. We STILL experience that occasionally (I'm guessing b/c of teething)! Some rules are meant to be broken, especially if it's for your own sanity! Hopefully it's just a phase...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails