After Julia was in bed this evening, I sat down to watch Oprah. Barbara Walters was on today and I learned that she had a sister who was mildly handicapped. Things that she said rang so true with me and I realized that when you grow up so closely with someone who is disabled you have something in common that others can't understand. She said that her sister is the one thing that can make her cry and as I write this tears stream down my face. Not only tears of sadness but ones of happiness. Happiness because my life and who I am today is because of the years with her and that is the one greatest gift she ever gave me. I wouldn't change anything. There were days that I didn't understand why people were staring or why for so many years we couldn't go to the same school. Things were different but at the time I knew no other. Today, people often ask how many siblings do you have? I simply reply that I am an only child. When I say that I cringe and I know some might be stunned that I would say that, but for me it is still hard to talk about my sister who passed away. So to those I don't feel as close to, it is the simplest response. She is sacred and although at times I feel like an only child I know I am not alone because she is always watching over me and guiding me through life. I am only saddened because I miss her and that Julia will never be able to meet her. However, she will meet her through the life lessons I have learned that will be passed to her.
Here is a poem that my aunt gave to my mom that is one of my favorite things to read.
Heaven's Very Special Child
by Edna Massimilla
A meeting was held, quite far from earth
"It's time again for another birth"
Said the Angels to the Lord above,
"This special child will need much love"
Her progress may seem very slow,
Accomplishments she may not show
And she'll require extra care
From all the folks she meets down there.
She may not run or laugh or play
Her thoughts may seem quite far away
In many ways she won't adapt,
And she'll be known as handicapped.
So let's be careful where she's sent
We want her life to be content
Please, Lord, find the right parents who
Will do this special job for You.
They will not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith and richer love.
And soon they'll know the privilege given
In caring for this gift from Heaven.
Their precious charge, so meek and mild
Is heaven's very special child.
4 comments:
I hesitated to actually publish this post but even though some may see this as sad I see this as a tribute to someone I love.
Yes this is a blog that mainly is about Julia but it is my digital scrapbook of memories and I felt as this should be included.
Love - kat
I love what you said about Julia meeting her through the life lessons you have learned. Beautiful words.
I wrote you a really loooooong e-mail this morning. Thank you so much for this.
Love you!
That poem is so beautiful and true. Your words were pure and that is why I cry, not sadness but love. Love for you and her.
Hi Kat!
That is probably the most beautiful poem I have ever read. Thank you for sharing that very special part of your life with us.
Post a Comment