Saturday, February 9, 2008

A long story is never short


Here is Julia today in her Daddy's rocking chair. Her great grandpa made it for Graham and in the past week she has learned how to get in it on her own. By looking at her you would never know that she gave Graham and I fits the night before. I thought about the short version but I think it helps me to tell the whole thing. Yesterday after picking up Miss Julia from daycare she decided to get sick. Have I said that I am done with cold and flu season!! When I picked her up she was abnormally cranky. She is always happy, but when I tried to put her down to change her diaper she started to cry. Very unlike her. I noticed she was hot but just assumed she was getting another molar. So I dropped her off at my mom's house who kindly agreed to watch her while I attended my counseling department happy hour. Here is where I feel really bad. When I walked in the door to pick her up she was laying on the floor next to Grampy. I knew immediatley something was wrong. When I picked her up she was a hot box and one limp noodle. Okay not to worry we will just take her to the doctor tomorrow morning. When we got home Graham and I gave her a bath to cool her off. I took her temp at it was at 104. Okay the baby book says not to panic and only call the doctor if it goes to 105. Of course I am thinking 105 isn't possible. I gave her more tylenol and put her to bed. Before I went to bed, I went down to check on her and take her temperature assuming it had gone down. Not so much, this time it hit 105. Now first time mom alert, I was ready to scoop her up and head to the ER down the road. I know I have mentioned it in the past but I love, love my peditrician's office. Instead I calmed down and called the doctor on call. She was quite lovely and assured me that I didn't need to take her to the emergency room. She gave us directions to go get some infant Motrin and go back and forth every three hours between Tylenol and Motrin assuring me I couldn't overdose her. She said if we could make it through the night probably meaning Graham and I not Julia, to bring her in the next morning. So here is the short story, we made it through the night and took her in to find out that the poor baby had double ear infections that were most likely the after effects of her cold. Poor Baby!! She never gave any indication of her ears hurting and didn't tug once at them. She is so tough. She had her up moments today and her down times. We got her first medicine besides Tylenol and hopefully by tomorrow morning she will be all smiles again. Of course today was the first weekend day in a long time where we could have ventured out, and instead we were inside doing a lot of snuggling!

3 comments:

Tse Family said...

Too long. I'll have to finish reading later. Just kidding. So, so sorry that Julia was feeling so bad. My first question is why didn't Grampy pick up that sweet little pumpkin off the floor?! Grampy needs a time out for that.
Hope she is much, much better today. Those ear infections are so tricky. I still never get it right after 3 kids so don't feel bad. For some reason the kids don't read those books. I still always have to check my fever cheat sheet every time one of them gets a fever. When they feel that bad, it is so scary! Feel better, Julia. Sending lots of hugs and germ free kisses!

Kat said...

In Grampy's defense she was so hot and achy she was happier just laying next to his leg:)

Julia is so on the go that the only time she will let me snuggle her is when she is sick. I hate that she is sick but love that she will curl up on my chest.

Katie said...

gosh~ where is my comment? I swear I left one here this morning. It said more than this, but I hope she is feeling better soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails