Wednesday, February 20, 2008

God Bless Texas


Ahhh Texas. I am becoming fonder of the state every time I visit. This past holiday weekend we went back to the big D, actually Fort Worth. My mom is originally from Texas and now most of her family is in the Fort Worth area. The past couple of years I have gone with her and now I take Julia along. As a kid, I can remember visting my Aunt Benny in Fort Stockton and loving the Sonic. That was before they became a huge chain so it was a real treat to go to a drive up and order a cherry limeade. I loved the small town feel. I don't think I ever told anyone that but I remember all of my trips there. We didn't visit much because we lived far away but when we did go it was so much fun to hang out with my cousins and see aunts and uncles. I grew up far away from my extended family and grandparents. I treasure that now we live closer and are able to see them more. This is one of the things that was very important to me for Julia. I wanted her to be close to her grandparents which is something that I didn't have. Graham was lucky that both sets lived in the same city. In the first year of Julia's life we went back to Phoenix five times. It is a short flight and with Southwest not too expensive. I know it isn't necessary but I don't feel an obligation to go back I want to go back. I am learning as I get older how important family is to have around. We had a wonderful time visiting. I love my Aunt Benny's new house because they have a lot of land and live further outside the city. Just across the road there was a horse and billy goat. How wonderful. What I realized about Texas this trip is how friendly and kind the people are. Everyone smiles and helps out. As much as I love Denver sometimes I hate that people are only willing to do things for themselves. I love the old fashion ways of the gentlemen in Texas because it makes you feel appreciated. Even though I love how Denver is laid back and casual sometimes I get sick of the yuppy, alternative lifestyle. Anyways, I love being able to visit other places because I always learn something. It was a great weekend and I am proud to say that I have Texas roots.

2 comments:

Katie said...

It sounds nice. I know what you mean as for living so far away from family. It's hard but with enough effort doable. Love you guys!

Tse Family said...

What a nice post! Aunt Benny should learn to comment, ahem. Did Julia get to feed the horse an apple? Our guys love to do that. You are doing a great job keeping Julia connected to her family. I have always loved the way your parents have found "family" wherever you are and how welcoming your home has always been.
I just wish we could have been there when you were there. Happy Anniversary, by the way. 5 years, right? Seems like just yesterday.
Miss you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails