Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Recipe of the Month

Okay so I didn't officially make a new years resolution but if I did it would be to try new things and cook more on a regular basis. Graham and I have a habit of eating out a lot, but since Julia now eats with us it has forced us to buy more at the grocery store, cook, and plan our meals. So here is a recipe that I had at a friends house one night. Since then I have made it a couple of times.

Spinach, White Bean, and Bacon Salad with Maple Mustard Dressing

Ingredients
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15.5 oz) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
5 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
2 packages fresh baby spinach

Preperation
Combine first 6 ingredients in a small microwave-safe bowl, stirring with a whisk; microwave at HIGH 1minute or until hot. Place beans in a 2 cup glass measure; microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until hot. Combine onions, bell pepper, bacon, and spinach in a large bowl. Add syrup mixture and beans; toss well to combine. Serve immediately.


Hope you try and enjoy. When I make it for us I tend to cut it in half and I also don't add onions since I don't like them. Yes, I am still a picky eater. Have I mentioned that Julia will eat anything? She gets that from Graham.

2 comments:

Tse Family said...

Hmmm. Not being a picky eater must go with having a big family. You eat or you go hungry. I have half the children our in-laws have (less than half of yours) and I am already realizing that picky eaters do not make life easy on moms. I have come a long way since marrying a non picky eater. Nathan has been the pickiest, but I didn't offer him as much as I've offered the girls. They both started out eating anything. Hannah has balked some as she hit the 2s and 3s and began asserting herself, but all 3 are pretty good eaters. My observation has been that if I at least pretend to like everything and never let the kids know when I don't like something, they will try just about anything. If they try something and don't like it, I make a big deal about how they might not like it now, but some day they can try it again to see if they like it. So far, so good. The salad sounds good, but who knows if I can find and/or read all of the ingredients here. It will take a while before I get organized enough to try it, but thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Last night, friends came over and I made this salad. They loved it. We loved it. I especially loved it. I ate the leftovers last night after cleaning up. It was so good, I couldn't stop eating it. Thanks!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails