Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bath Terrors


Just when you think things are going so well life throws you a curve ball. I know I have used that statement before in this blog. I feel like that is a statement about parenting. For the last couple of months I have been thinking to myself and commenting to others about how easy Julia has become. I know eat my words, right?? She has been a delight. All smiles, sleeping solid at night and well into the morning. She is my routine girl, helps out, and has for the most part a great disposition. However a couple things have changed in the last week. I should say for the most part I know I am very lucky because she really is a great child but this week there our times where I could pull my hair out. Please tell me I am not the only one that feels this way. I realize that these are stages and she will move on but for some reason this time I can't figure out what is wrong which makes things tougher.
After coming back from fall break getting going in the morning and getting out the door hasn't been as smooth. I had it down to a science. I would go down get Julia at 7. From there I would get her dressed, pack her bag, and we would be out the door. Life was so nice. Now this little voice says, "PJ's, my PJ's." Someone doesn't want to get dressed so then there is whining and crying and even someone chasing a little one across a bed to put her jacket on. Not my shining moment but then I am not perfect. I know that this will get better. We went through this same stage when I started back to work in August. However we are coming up on Thanksgiving and then Winter break so it might take a while.
My real concern is bath time. So yes any advice would be wonderful. Julia has always loved bath time or anything to do with water. She always runs to get her towel and start the bath water. That is why this is so confusing. Last Wednesday night Julia started to cry in the tub. She didn't fall or get water up her nose nothing abnormal. Her cry started to turn into a completely terrified cry the one I hear the minute we start walking back to see the doctor. Every night since the minute we tell her it is time for a bath she starts getting that frightened voice and cry. I have kept putting her in and usually I can get her to calm down. I was gone on Thursday night and Graham gave her a bath. Now please know that she has him wrapped around his finger. He made it out to me that she was screaming bloody murder and he thought something was terribly wrong. The next bath she didn't want to take a bath but once again we took one and she even played a little. Tonight same thing but towards the end out of now where the terrified cry. Major tears and meltdown for what I think is no reason. In my head I just can't figure out where this is coming from. Has anyone else gone through this??? I keep trying to tell myself this is just another stage but I guess I have to say I am concerned. More concerned than I have been about other things.





6 comments:

Tse Family said...

It is so hard to understand what is going on in their little minds. Is there any way you can ask her what she wants to do instead of a bath? Just start earlier than you need to and then ask her what she wants to do. My friend's daughter had an accident in the tub (fell) and was scared for a while and to help her get over it they bought some bath crayons...as you said it will pass, but that doesn't help you right now.
One thing I used to do for Nathan (poor 2nd and 3rd child) was put his clothes in the dryer before I got him dressed in the morning. (He used to cry a lot about getting dressed in the morning). Don't know if it will help, but it helped him. (I'm assuming she might be cold, but if it is just that she likes her jammies, you could try dressing her in part of her clothes the night before and only changing the pants). Tricky, I know, but it is so important to have a good morning especially when you have to drop her off be away from her.
You are both so blessed. She is as perfect as toddlers can be. We're all pulling out our hair. You're not alone.

Katie said...

Aww, baby girl! What about showers? Nora would sit under the shower for an hour if I let her. I agree with Nicci, maybe give her a choice. What does she want to do? I like the warming of the clothes, I did that a lot with newborn River, born in December. Some questions, I would ask myself: Is the water warm enough? too warm? I don't know what the signs are but what about a UTI? I know you don't want to put her through the testing for that...

Good luck and know that you are not alone. I wish I could tell you that it will get easier. Figuring things out. As far as I can tell, it doesn't get easier but different. At least that's what I have finally accepted. She is beautiful and perfect and yours. Your doing great!

Katherine said...

About 2 weeks ago, I put Macie in the tub without checking the temp first, and it was too hot. She was fine, but it scared her for a good while, and bathtime turned into a battle after that.
I got her back to norm by letting her first put her hands under the running water, touching a toe into the tub (lots of cheering!), and then throwing LOTS of toys inside. She eventually came around. Frustrating, I know. There is so much truth to the terrible twos that I have found start a bit earlier than 2.

Stephanie said...

Gee reading this makes me feel better. My daughter always loved the bath and last week she did the same thing.

Marcy said...

Hey Kathy, I check you guys out from Katies blog, but wanted you to know that Merrick is doing the same exact thing. The last 2 nights she did take baths without water works, I am thinking of getting entirely new toys, see if that makes it anymore inticing. Julia is a doll.

Jodi Weeks said...

I don't know anything about kids. My original thought is that the water is fine but then she gets cold (because you mentioned she did fine and then cried towards the end)? Also with the recent weather change I now feel cold all the time (transition time).

Shower idea is great. Can you make either one of them get in & get out style, just be quick? Is it bad to do a reward after (bribe) for no crying?

The giraffe is perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails