For those who know me quite well they are probably shocked that I am writing about this topic. I have never been savvy or honestly quite interested by the environment. However I think that it is my time to start thinking about it. Well here it goes because lately I have noticed things that have bothered me. A couple of months ago we switched some of our light bulbs to the fluorescent bulbs that was one way that I was trying to conserve on energy. I know it isn't a huge change but at least it is something. Lately the plastic bags from the grocery store are driving me nuts. It is such a waste and they are multiplying underneath my sink. Therefore on this earth day I am vowing to go buy reusable bags. That is my next step. Graham was taking mass transit but the switch to light rail in Denver hasn't been for the better. It is more expensive and takes more time. However, he has started car pooling so he is doing his part. As for diapers, on 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago they showed a pile of diapers used for one child. It was quite eye opening. I have some friends that use cloth diapers and for my next child I am willing to consider this option. I realize they aren't like the cloth diapers that I hear my mom and others talk about. I will just have to work it around being a working mom, but even if I do it on the weekends and when I am home in the summer it is a start. I realize these aren't huge changes but every little bit counts.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Happy Earth Day
For those who know me quite well they are probably shocked that I am writing about this topic. I have never been savvy or honestly quite interested by the environment. However I think that it is my time to start thinking about it. Well here it goes because lately I have noticed things that have bothered me. A couple of months ago we switched some of our light bulbs to the fluorescent bulbs that was one way that I was trying to conserve on energy. I know it isn't a huge change but at least it is something. Lately the plastic bags from the grocery store are driving me nuts. It is such a waste and they are multiplying underneath my sink. Therefore on this earth day I am vowing to go buy reusable bags. That is my next step. Graham was taking mass transit but the switch to light rail in Denver hasn't been for the better. It is more expensive and takes more time. However, he has started car pooling so he is doing his part. As for diapers, on 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago they showed a pile of diapers used for one child. It was quite eye opening. I have some friends that use cloth diapers and for my next child I am willing to consider this option. I realize they aren't like the cloth diapers that I hear my mom and others talk about. I will just have to work it around being a working mom, but even if I do it on the weekends and when I am home in the summer it is a start. I realize these aren't huge changes but every little bit counts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am with you. I think it was so overwhelming to me that I would just shut down and not want to do anything, but I have to super sister-in-laws plugging away for the environment and reading Katie's tips inspired me too. Thanks for your insight because sometimes I feel like the only one who hasn't been hugging trees for years! I want to start hugging, but I'm going to start with a small bush or something.
Reusable bags are awesome! We have no choice here, but they hold so much more and I love bagging my own stuff because I put things where I want them. We will be bringing these back with us and using them in the States. Recycling has become second nature here as well. We are charged about 1 Euro a piece for regular trash bags. Recycling bags are much cheaper and if you don't want birds dragging your trash all over the place, you'll compost. That is the next thing I want to work on, compost. I have to actually learn how it works---I have finally quit complaining that there is no garbage disposal. Cloth diapers, I never tried. I had to use them once in the NICU (I don't think we used them they way people at home do) and it turned me off because I changed that kids entire bed about 10 or 15 times each shift. No way was I excited about doing that at home, but it is my own ignorance. Thanks for more motivation! I love being inspired to take care of the planet!
Oops that would be 2 super sister-in-laws! Sorry for the book!
I am very impressed with your earth day changes! Mike and I have started using reusable bags too. We do not have a Trader Joes very close so we have been shopping at Whole Foods and their bags are only $1.00 and every time you use them you get 10 cents back. Therefore with the amount of times I go to the grocery store they will pay for themselves soon. Thanks for the inspiration to make some more changes!
I'm proud of you! And, I am keeping all of my best diapers, if you want to try it out next time around.
Post a Comment